[TYPO3-project-4-3] Disable Versioning and Workspaces

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Mon Aug 17 11:57:57 CEST 2009

Steffen Kamper schrieb:

> Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] schrieb:
>> That would be neat, but I think this will bring in the same problems we
>> have already with DBAL.
>>
>> There are still plenty of people *using* those features, notably
>> workspaces, and those are usually not the ones that could continue
>> "maintaining" it, but are just users. Moving that stuff away from the
>> core will make every future change to these parts of the core "unaware"
>> of workspaces, and at the end it will simply "break" and noone that
>> broke it will care (because those are the ones that are not using it)
>> and those who are using it won't be able to do anything (because they
>> aren't even sure why it broke).
>>
>> We see the same stuff happening in DBAL, it breaks all the time, there
>> are dozens of patches that come in which doesn't care about DBAL at all
>> and there are just a very few people that still try to make it work
>> (Xavier et al) or at least consider it when reviewing a patch (like Masi
>> reminding people patching t3lib_db not to forget DBAL).
>>
>> Basically it is sad that we have no real manpower to "get into"
>> workspaces / versioning and to really continue maintaining it as it
>> should. Because it is a cool feature and - yes - it is being
>> productively used by a lot of "big TYPO3 players".
>>

> the idea is not to remove it from core, the idea is to make core not
> dependend on loading version. Core should work without and the
> isLodaed-calls should be removed instead using a real API for it.
> I know it's not a simple task, but a start would be to disable version
> and see where it doesn't work and fix it. Maybe this helps with moving
> version/workspace related stuff into a central place

I understood what the idea was, and I was just warning that this will
make workspaces a "non-working" engine like DBAL is: it is "outsourced"
as an extension, but as soon as you "turn it on" it breaks your site,
breaks upgrading or other un-fun-stuff.

This is because almost every core developer has turned that extension
"off" and noone cares to test or review with it turned on. Same will
happen with "workspace", I fear. We introduce many new cool stuff in
TCEmain because "it got so much easier" without versioning and
workspaces, but at the end it will break the currently working
versioning / worspacing part, because it will not be tested anymore.

This is just a "fear" considering past experience with DBAL. I am not
saying that it will be this way, or that it cannot be solved if we find
a way to make sure workspaces keep on working even after the "spin-off".

Cheers,
Ernesto