[TYPO3-project-4-3] indexed_search for 4.3

Ralf Hettinger ng at ralfhettinger.de
Mon Sep 15 16:37:43 CEST 2008

Hi Steffen,

Steffen Kamper schrieb:
> i read the bt entry and the reason was too long urls? I'm a bit confused
> as the JS-links use same url in onclick="..."

I would think, that it should be no problem to have very long URLs and
many GET params. _should_

Formally, there exists a W3C recommendation suggesting a maximum length
of 255 bytes for an URL [1]. This length is not unlikely to be exceeded,
if using indexed_search and pagebrowsing with GET, since all
indexed_search params would have to be transmitted as GET vars.

Furthermore, I remember that older IEs may have problems when using a
back button to a very long URL.

I could imagine further problems like content inspections in firewalls
blocking pages or indeed 414 server errors (though that admittedly
sounds not very likely).

Finally, it might be a cosmetic question of having URLs that fit into a
browser's address line.

> Looking to your example i don't see a reason for a long url, so can you
> enlighten me why this is needed?

The URLs in pagebrowser (if not submitted by POST, as they are in [2])
would be easily at around 350 chars (without tricky realurl
configuration - yes, I think you could tune that, but why having the
need to tune if some other solution exists?). Which I personally think
is a long URL.

Cheers
Ralf

[1] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt => section 3.2.1 General Syntax