[TYPO3-project-4-3] 4.3 and Speed

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Fri Nov 28 20:28:05 CET 2008

Steffen Kamper wrote: on 28.11.2008 14:15:

> just read #9854 in BT. I think we serious need time measure.
> on my local system i have 4.1, 4.2 and trunk running with exact same
> setup, and subjective impression is the same, that 4.3 is much slower
> than 4.1. I did some tests yesterdy on a 4.1 and was total surprised
> about the performance.
>
> So we have to locate the weak points where performance is lost.
> i will make some tests without any cache to look how the system behaves
> comparing to 4.1/4.2
>
> Any suggestions how we can get reliable results for?

Are you using eAccelerator and trying out different on the same machine?

I have had a very peculiar problem when running different TYPO3 versions
(3.8 and 4.1 in my case) on the same machine. 3.8 was so much faster
that I started debugging.

Using the admin panel and tracking content rendering I discovered that
the problem was the part where index_ts.php "Include Frontend
libraries". Depending on which site eAcccelerator cached first, the
other one took "forever" (20ms instead of 1ms) to load those 6 classes.

The typo3_src files are physically located on different paths, of course.

Took me a while to find it out. Cleaning the eAccelerator cache would
sometimes shift the installation which is faster. As I was not using
memcache for eAccelerator cache, I have no explanation for the problem.
but.. it really happened! :)

Cheers,
Ernesto