[TYPO3-project-4-3] (SPL) Exceptions

Martin Kutschker masi-no at spam-typo3.org
Fri Nov 7 10:01:05 CET 2008

Steffen Kamper schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> as Masi mentioned in Core list we have no guide for exceptions.
>
> Now we use the SPL exceptions, and there is also no guideline.
>
> I found a good document here:
> http://www.php.net/~helly/php/ext/spl/classException.html
>
> this might help.

Ah, the automated docs. I think there used to be a link from
php.net/manual, but it's gone now.

The fact that they are not offically documented makes me wonder if we
should use them.

Another question is for me, how many exeptions do we need? The new
caching framework adds 6 alone. Looking at their names I think they
could have used more general ones, but maybe I am just lazy. So can
someone please explain to me, why it makes sense to create a new
exception class for every possible failure?

Masi