[TYPO3-project-4-3] Is it time to ship optimized TYPO3 by default?

Sebastian Gebhard sg at webagentur-gebhard.de
Thu Nov 6 20:04:15 CET 2008

Dmitry Dulepov schrieb:
> Hi!
>
> Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
>> User should not do our work. It is our task to provide good ~defaults~.
>
> By the way, if we are going to make this change, I volunteer to
> create installation instructions for TYPO3. These instructions (file
> INSTALL) will describe this issue too.

I think the Install Tool should TRY to activate these .htaccess-files
and if it fails due to restricted permission it should display
instructions to the user what files he has to rename to get some
improvement.

Though I see he large advantage of having these files activated I don't
think that they should be enabled by default.
When you do a HTML/CSS-Layout you make it Crossbrowser so that (ideally)
all people with all browsers will get a good result.
And we (or let's say you - i'm not a core developer) should provide a
CMS that should work in different environments and not break down due to
  a single configuration.
TYPO3 should be smart enough to work with both, AllowOverride on and off.