[TYPO3-project-4-3] Global categorization

Patrick Gaumond patrick at typo3quebec.org
Mon Jun 30 22:43:32 CEST 2008

Global categorization for 4.3 ?

 From my own perspective (you may call it an itch) one of the things
missing from the actual TYPO3 Core is a global, centralized, category
system.

Think about it, we have DAM categories, tt_news categories and maybe
some other extensions have some on their own.

There's no mechanism for Pages and tt_content categories. Right now you
can't build an automated menu based on page categories for example. You
can't search in Indexed Search specifying a category of content and so on.

Enter the work already done by Mads Brunn available here:

http://typo3xdev.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/typo3xdev/tx_categories/trunk/

There's even a preliminary manual:
http://typo3xdev.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/typo3xdev/tx_categories/trunk/doc/

Mads presented his work at T3CON07. If you got the DVD it's on DVD 2,
chapter 7 "Using taxonomies to organize your pages and content".

Did Core Team ever look at this ?

Are the principles worth being included into Core ?

In my point of view, Categories are linked to the part of TYPO3 being a
"Content Management" System...

I see so many possibilities and having this as a core feature seems
something to aim for.

What people think about this topic ?

Patrick