[TYPO3-project-4-3] TYPO3 4.3 status report 27/2008

Martin Kutschker masi-no at spam-typo3.org
Thu Jul 10 10:02:22 CEST 2008

Benjamin Mack schrieb:
> Hey Dmitry & Masi,
>
> Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Martin Kutschker wrote:
>>> Why do we need Flash for it? Isn't an IFRAME and a bit of JS enough to
>>> post multiple files easily?
>>
>> I think even IFrame is not necessary. Just a bit of JS that creates
>> more input=file elements...
> Tell me how to do this with a bit of JS:
> * Selecting multiple files at once in the file picker of your browsers
> choice

OK, you cannot do this.

> * Don't have to deal with page reloads, broken connections,
> max_upload_size and max_execution_time limits.

Hm, hard to do as well...

> ... with just a little amount of overhead. (btw: SWFupload HAS a nice
> and automatic degredation to AJAX/JS).
>
> Guys, I can also release it as a TER extension, but I don't see the
> reason why, just for the sake of arguing about cool features that TYPO3
> could have built-in ? ;-)

IMHO TYPO3 is and should stay a PHP/JS project. Currently we store (and
ship) script code. If we add Flash to the project we have to handle
sources AND binaries.

But maybe I'm only against it because it wil be the first part of TYPO3
I will not be able to understand/hack beacue I don't "speak" Flash.

Anyway, I'm not totally against it, but I would like to have a plan how
we handle code that has to be compiled before we can ship it. Of course
we will deliver the sources (GPL!) but it makes no sense to ship them
with the typo3_src package (should it be renamed? maybe typo3_bin or
typo3_runtime).

Masi