[TYPO3-project-4-3] Global categorization

Steffen Kamper steffen at sk-typo3.de
Thu Jul 3 18:33:57 CEST 2008

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] schrieb:
> Hi!
>
> Ingo Renner wrote:
>> However, I disagree with the rest of your mail, categorization is
>> important, and I think it should be a core feature. On the other hand
>> you're right again, the core should be small.

>> I think what the core could provide eventually is
>>
>> * a unified category tree
>> * a category select field
>> * an API to extend the categories with fields for each extension
>> * an API to easily work with the catgorization system
>>
>> sounds good?
>
> Why can't it be an extension? Why does it have to be in core? Extension
> can do it all. Having it in extension will leave unused fields out of
> core, which is good. We already have workspaces, which is spread over
> the whole core, adds immense complexity and rarely used. I don't think
> we need to repeat this experience again. Let it be modular, put it in
> extension and allow interested people to install it.
>
> I really do not see why it has to come to core. I am not -1 on it but I
> do not see the reason.

Hi,

i'm same opinion like Ingo.
It's because if there is an API for categorisation, it must be respected
  at so many places in core like page modul, list modul, tceforms etc.
That's imho too much work for an extension. If these interfaces are
present, an extension can make usage of it.
Otherwise we will have extensions again that xclasses half of core to
achieve proper integration :-)

vg Steffen