[TYPO3-project-4-3] Global categorization

Ingo Renner ingo at typo3.org
Wed Jul 2 23:00:26 CEST 2008

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] wrote:

> Why can't it be an extension? Why does it have to be in core? Extension
> can do it all. Having it in extension will leave unused fields out of
> core, which is good. We already have workspaces, which is spread over
> the whole core, adds immense complexity and rarely used. I don't think
> we need to repeat this experience again. Let it be modular, put it in
> extension and allow interested people to install it.

The thing is that to make it a common solution for all it needs to be
provided by the core. It being an extension will not get everybody to
use that extension as everybody thinks that he needs to come up with his
own solution again.

The story with workspaces it quite different I'd say and there are other
more fundamental issues with them.
I don't think that the mentioned category system will be as complex as
workspaces at all.

Ingo

--
Ingo Renner