[TYPO3-project-4-3] Global categorization

ben van 't ende [netcreators] ben at netcreators.com
Wed Jul 2 17:25:22 CEST 2008

Patrick Gaumond wrote:
> stefano cecere wrote:
>> well, Mads Brunn did already develop a good "global" categories (it
>> was discussed much in ECT list):
>
> Yes, it was mentioned in the very first post about this subject!
>
> :)
>
> I did my lobbying job.  ;)
>

> Patrick Gaumond
> Professional TYPO3-Lobbyist

Hey Patrick,

So TYPO3-lobbyist is what we are called? Nice ;-) I was fighting with this
subject in some projects as well. It is mostly government related institutes
that ask for this. We have been discussing this at Netcreators too and what we
would need is that this is integrated into the most important extensions there
are. We decided to first check out if we can do this with tt_news. I also
discussed this with Rupert and he made some interesting points:

> IMO the tt_news (3.0) category handling currently offers far more
> flexibility/features than tx_categories so the question should better be:
> What does it cost to integrate the tt_news category handling to tx_categories
> and then extend other exts to use this  ;-)
>
> another point is, that I consider the way how the virtual category field is
> added to all tables as a kind of a hack - It will make a huge amount of work
> to integrate this seemlessly to the TYPO3 DB handling.
> Since such "virtual" fields are not supported by the core itself, a lot of
> functions in tcemain, tceforms, transferdata and so on have to be extended to
> support this feature in permissions, workspaces, language overlays....
> But besides such big things like workspaces and translations there are also
> many, many small functions in the TYPO3 Backend which rely on the fact that
> each relation has an actual existing field in the database.
>
> Unfortunately I have no Idea how to solve the problem to add a global category
> field to each db table in another way.

I understand half of it. The other half is for Martin ;-)

It seems inevitable to me that at one point we would really need to integrate
this global categorisation. Any remarks from the techies?

gRTz

ben
--
netcreators :: creation and innovation