[TYPO3-project-4-3] autoloader using SPL

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Mon Aug 4 16:47:00 CEST 2008

Hi!

Ingo Renner wrote:
> why not? Of course we can. In PHP 5.2 it's even enabled by default
> (IIRR, at least it's definitly enabled in 5.3). Howver, we actually do
> require it already since TYPO3 4.2 as we throw some SPL Exceptions f.e.
>
> So this is no concern anymore.

I am not against SPL. I simply want to check everything once more and avoid any nasty surprises to people who use TYPO3. Adding extra requirements always increases chances that some installations will not work with it. We could not even enable .htaccess to increase performance because one or two people complained! But we are going to require a PHP extension now.

Before the decision is taken, it has to be evaluated. TYPO3 is a business for many. Unless TYPO3 works stable in default environments, we risk loosing customers.

I use SuSE 10.3 on two hosts. I use autoload in non-TYPO3 project. Since there is no problem with my own autoload, I assume there is no SPL on thiese boxes with default PHP configuration. I also do not see any reference to SPL in phpinfo, so I am even more confident that there is no SPL there. If TYPO3 4.3 stops working because of SPL, it means I am stuck with 4.2 as well as all other SuSE users. Do we want this?

Again, my point is: we must evaluate the result before we require SPL.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 Core team