[TYPO3-Performance] ab failed requests

georg kuehnberger georg at georg.org
Mon Apr 13 02:03:34 CEST 2009

Dan Osipov wrote:
> Georg,
> I was hoping to look into offloading some of the peak traffic into the
> cloud, and make it seamless to the end user. Based on your experience -
> I don't think that's quite what you did here

Hey Dan,

You're right; what we used "the cloud" for was most realistic
load-testing towards a "no-clouded" target in order to measure & tune
this Application unter Test (AUT); (and repeat tuning and testing as
long as it matched the clients expectations).

> I was hoping to look into offloading some of the peak traffic into the
> cloud,
- do you think its possible?

Definitely.

a) go for S3
It boils down to the following:

- Use S3 for storage of infrequently (less than 2min) updated data (like
CSS, images, and video), that can be delivered to the client without
ever asking you T3-Instance for them (href points towards s3) =
translates into HIGH traffic-reduction and http-request reduction;

This apparently has and is been done quite often, especially from within
the blogger / wordpress community in order to get their servers not
"slash-dotted" (= offload traffic & load).

btw. I feel you could easily do the same with those other cloud
frameworks; eg. google et al.

b) add CDN to S3
In case you're fancy, cost-conscious and wanna deliver faster, you'd add
Amazons distributed CDN to the above; it's built upon s3 and called
cloudfront.
For details please see:
http://aws.amazon.com/cloudfront/
http://www.labnol.org/internet/setup-content-delivery-network-with-amazon-s3-cloudfront/5446/

c) as for TYPO3
- You could go different routes depending on your business-plan &
available infrastructure;
- option-1 - move all to ec2 (virtual Server Infrastructure - even inkl.
loadbalancer, rev.proxies, t3-instance, db-cluster and more)
& s3 (for storage & CDN);
- option-2 - keep t3 & db local, though move high volume & frequent
volume stuff to s3 & cloudfront (or any other cloud)
- option-3 - mix / match according to you clients preferences.

hth regards georg

PS: we just recently tested a fully transparent fuse-based filesystem
simply sym-linked from fileadmin into s3; turned out to work flawlessly
with typo3;

PPS: "Serial innovator" Reuven Cohen catched the cloud-wave a bit
earlier and offers professional products & services covering some or
most of the above and is even sepcialized on TYPO3 - see:
http://www.enomaly.com/
No I dont know Reuven (unfortunately), and neigther am related to Amazon
(except being my personal book-store)