[TYPO3-Performance] List module performance

georg kuehnberger georg at georg.org
Wed Aug 27 23:49:30 CEST 2008

typo3 wrote:
> Hi All,
> my tt_news has a few hundred thousand of records. When I select "Extended
> view" option it takes at least 10 seconds to load every page of the module
> (whereas when not selected it takes only 1 sec).
> Looking at mysql show processlist I see this selects:
> SELECT uid FROM tt_news WHERE ((t3ver_oid=461332) OR uid=461332) AND
> tt_news.deleted=0 ORDER BY t3ver_id DESC;
> this tells me that the List module calls this select for every row it wants
> to list with "Extended view" selected and it slows the system down.
> t3ver_id column is related to the versioning feature of typo3 records that I
> do not really need.
> One way to improve is to turn the versionsing off.
> How to do it?
> please let me know if you have another hint for to improve performance.

- Disabling versioning is not possible AFAIK (without hacking the core);

- I'd do the header / expires exercices Michiel elaborated on in his
nice article:
    http://typofree.org/articles/optimizing-typo3-backend-responsiveness/
which will mainly bring you performance on the webserver- & client-side.

- I'd also increase mysql query-cache params, as the mentioned queries
dont contain timestamps, thus should easily be cacheable by mysql (until
  next update of the table only, of course);

hth regards georg