[TYPO3-Performance] db-performance-issue

Patrick Gaumond gaumondpatrick-s-p-a-m at hotmail-sp-a-m.com
Wed Aug 6 16:11:44 CEST 2008

Mathias Schreiber [TYPO3] wrote:

> This is a tough strategic decision...
> If we are "enterprise", we may not care about crappy ISPs.
> If we are "working on every 5 buck webspace", we're not enterprise.

Amen to that !

This is something that annoyed me for a long time.

Should Oracle or Siebold or SAP listen to people complaining that their
solutions don't work on a 5$/month ISP ?

I was even surprised that the move to PHP 5 was accepted.

Sure maybe we lost some hobbyists and people with talent because they
can't offer TYPO3 on anemic ISPs. On the other hand TYPO3 for
development, testing and discovery is totally usable locally on any
notebook purchased in the last 2 years so the remaining problem is:
what is the smallest common denominator ?

To use TYPO3 you must:
Use PHP 5.2 (understood)
Use MySQL 5.x (understood)
Need access to your own php.ini ?
Need at least 64 MB for PHP ?
Full root access to your MySQL server ?

Where can we draw the line and be able to state: "If you don't have
these requirements, please use a CMS. TYPO3 is a ECMS and we mean it".

Patrick