[Typo3-UG NRW] [Typo3-debian] [Typo3-test] Switching to the new lists

Michael Stucki mundaun at gmx.ch
Sun Feb 23 19:23:12 CET 2003

Hi all,

now that some of you are using the new list server, I already see some
things that could make problems:

Threads:
As you see, there are some big problems mainly with users using M$ Outlook
clients. One single thread is presented in 5 lines (as seen on
typo3.ug.nrw). This makes it very complex for users who want to mark
interesting threads or just want to use other benefits of such a news
client.

The german usenet is a very good example to demonstrate how clear this could
be. See the de.comp.lang.php.* newsgroups for example (Server

Solutions:
- ignore it (IMO bad choice)
- try to fix this with M$ Outlook clients
  (didn't find any solution yet - maybe some of you know...?!)
- encourage people to use a news client instead of Mailing lists
- encourage people to use a better (!) mail client (i.e. Mozilla Mail)

Second thing: Quoting
Again, have a look at the dclp* newsgroups how clean threads could be
presented if people deleted uninteresting information.

In german, one of the most occuring mistakes (which currently seems to be
normal here) is the so-called TOFU (Text oben / Fullquote unten) which can
be translated as "Text on top / Fullquote below". You see the point?! :-)

I agree. Maybe this is too much in one single step, but since everybody
wants to make browsing the lists as easy as possible, these things are
highly recommended!

What do you think?

Michael