[TYPO3-install] Newbie questions about initial setup for DocumentRoot etc.

Michael OF michaelof at rocketmail.com
Thu Dec 8 11:00:40 CET 2016

Hi all,

I have a VPS where I want run a few small different typo3 sites. Each of them should be accessed by an own sub domain like

site1.domain.tld and
site2.domain.tld

On this (private) VPS are also served several other webapps, like my owncloud instance (owncloud.domain.tld), roundcubemail (webmail.domain.tld) and, of course, phpMyAdmin.

TYPO3 docs are saying that folder structure should be DocumentRoot/typo3 and DocumentRoot/typo3-src, with index.php symlinked to DocumentRoot and DocumentRoot/.htaccess, etc....

For several reasons including security I want the each webapp is separated regarding the physical folder structure, so I'm "nervous" about an index.php and .htsaccess (directly) ABOVE folders for other webapps,like phpMyAdmin. Especially, as my apache setup serves phpMyAdmin strictly only to localhost, and I access phpMyAdmin only via ssh port forwarding on pseudo "localhost"

Do we have any recommended directory layout templates,or best practices? Any links would be great!

My initial idea would be a subfolder below the default DocumentRoot (/srv/www/htdocs in my case) like e.g. /srv/www/htdocs/typo3installation, index.php in this folder. And below a subdir for each separated typo3 site, each will get an own VirtualHost within apache.

And finally, as all Apache docs recommend NOT to use .htaccess (anymore): I would put the .htaccess directives into a "Directory" directive for the "typo3" overall DocumentRoot, /srv/www/htdocs/typo3installation in my example.

Does this make sense?

Thanks,
Michael