[TYPO3-install] Newbie question: HTTP 400 Bad Request after install, but only non-localhost VirtualHost

Michael_OF michaelof at rocketmail.com
Sat Dec 3 01:45:27 CET 2016

Hi all,

I've installed TYPO3 7.6.13, on Apache 2.4.23, on OpenSuse Leap 42.2. On a private VPS.

For security reasons all done at first on "localhost", accessed remotely  by ssh port forwarding.

--> Installation etc. went fine, TYPO3 backend "runs" on "localhost:port/typo3root/typo3".

BUT: Whatever I try, I'm not able to get it running on a "real" host, not localhost, does not work. For whatever
DocumentRoot subfolder added to HTTP GET, result is:

	Bad Request
	Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
	Additionally, a 400 Bad Request error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the
	request.

- typo log in backend shows nothing
- apache's access_log shows the HTTP GET, nothing further
- apache's error_log shows nothing, which was not expected by me :-(

Apaches VirtualHost definition:

	<VirtualHost *:443>
	        ServerName domain.tld:443
        	ServerAlias www.domain.tld:443
	        DocumentRoot "/srv/www/htdocs/typo3root"
	        Options FollowSymLinks
	        Include /etc/apache2/conf.d/php5.conf
	        Include /etc/apache2/conf.d/typo3.local.conf
	        <Directory "/srv/www/htdocs/typo3root">
	                AllowOverride None
	                Require all denied
	        </Directory>
	        Include /srv/www/htdocs/typo3root/.htaccess
	        SSLEngine on
	</VirtualHost>

Some remarks:

- as TYPO3 is not the only web app on my vserver, others like owncloud, roundcubemail, phpMyAdmin exists, I decided for
security reasons to put TYPO3 not in the main DocumentRoot, but in an own subtree starting at <DocumentRoot>/typo3root
- As this is "my own" vserver, I also decided to follow Apache's recommendations NOT to use .htaccess files. Instead of
that I set a strict "Directory" directive at first and included the original TYPO3 .htaccess file into the vhost, making
future updates easier.

FOR DEBUGGING this http/400 errors of course I've tried also without strict "Directory" directives and with allowed
.htaccess files. Also tested without https/ssl, http-only, as I found some hints that enabling ssl on apache level might
not be enough (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13074815/enabling-ssl-in-typo3).

"Bad request" still appears.

So I'm running out of ideas, and any hints would be great!

Regards,
Michael