[TYPO3-install] Upgrading from old version

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Fri Feb 14 21:16:11 CET 2014

Hi Greg,

Greg Firestone wrote:

> I hope this is the correct forum to post in. I'm not a very familiar with
> Typo3/web technologies so I'm hoping someone here can help. My friends
> website uses Typo3 - she used a 3rd party to design her website and she
> performs content updates. She uses Typo3 4.1.15. The website itself might
> be even older. When I looked into the Meta area, the Typo3 copyright data
> says 1998-2009.
>
> She's currently looking at updating to the latest version of Typo3
> because she feels the current version is very limiting for modifying the
> website. In the world of web technologies, 3-4 years is a very long time.
> Can they upgrade to the latest version without any issues? If so, does  it
> make sense to do this or is the technology so much further ahead since
> 2009, that they should look into starting fresh? Her background is
> marketing and she has very little knowledge of websites. We're assuming
> the new Typo3 is more user friendly for those without a technical
> background but I'm not sure just upgrading the software will provide her
> the capabilities she's look for.

Make sure to create a full backup first (including files and database) such
that you can revert to the working version at any time.

Disable all non-core extensions temporarily.

Then download the latest version of TYPO3 4.5 LTS from
http://get.typo3.org/

Replace the folders typo3 and t3lib with the corresponding folders from the
download.
Replace the index.php file with a fresh copy from the download.

Then go to your install tool and run the database compare action.

Then run all the upgrade wizards. Just the be save, run the DB compare
wizard again.

If all works out, login into the backend, go to the extension manager and
update all extensions that need offer an update.
Afterwards you can enable the required extensions again.

Then check your website output. If somethings looks strange, you should do
all changes to the typoscript template that are mentioned in the NEWS.txt of
all versions in between (or check the release notes).

Once 4.5 LTS is up and running, you can plan to upgrade a later version,
although I suggest to wait for 6.2 LTS.

Best regards
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!