[TYPO3-install] Uprading old system

Stephan Großberndt s.grossberndt at sidebysite.de
Mon Aug 18 11:30:52 CEST 2014

Am 06.08.2014 um 00:02 schrieb Chris R:
> I inherited a website running on an older version of Typo3, version
> 4.1.1 to be specific. Though it seems like the site and the admin
> interface are running slightly different versions.

These is a very old, unsupported version. "slightly different versions"
is unusual. If it is a construct of different servers for frontend and
backend accessing the same database it might be helpful to upgrade those
to their newest used version.

> I an new to typo3 systems so would like some guidance on the possibility
> of updating the system to newer versions.

Your first step to move to newer versions is to upgrade to 4.5 LTS.
Having done that you can tackle the upgrade to the current 6.2 LTS.

http://wiki.typo3.org/Upgrade

Take note of the system requirements (PHP, MySQL), you will probably
need an up-to-date operating system too.

http://typo3.org/download/

If you have problems with the upgrading process it's better to post
questions to typo3.german or typo3.english since there are more people
active there.