[TYPO3-install] Can't connect to database with correct information

info at ikbouwwebsites.be info at ikbouwwebsites.be
Tue Jun 22 18:41:39 CEST 2010

Hi list,

TYPO3 4.3.3
Shared LAMP (PHP Version 5.2 / MySQL 5.0.84)

Got a strange problem.  I'm not new at installing TYPO3 but this one just
won't connect to the database.  When using the same set of parameters in a
simple php-connect script I get a connection.  When using the same set of
parameters in phpMyAdmin, I get a connection.  Just TYPO3 won't do connect
and keeps giving me the "Can't connect to the database"-error in installer.
When inputting the correct set of parameters directly into localconf.php,
I can't get a connection...

Googeling around this might be because of the new way passwords are saved
in MySQL(?), but as i'm on a shared account with limited privliges, I can't
use a SQL query with to re-save the password "the new way".

Any hints anyone?

Thx for any responce.
Marijn