[TYPO3-install] Cannot run Install for TYPO3

Christopher Torgalson bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 07:36:30 CET 2008

Hi,

On Jan 11, 2008 5:16 AM, Selva Tinnan <sst at dogstown.org> wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I've installed the latest TYPO3 using Fantastico on a shared hosting server.
>
> Created a first page, but cannot upload a template.
>
> Cannot run Install on the backend menu no matter how much I follow the
> documentation and advice.
>
> ENABLE_INSTALL_TOOL.php does nothing, no matter how many places I place it.
>
> Three days of trying to get a template to install!
>
> Any advice?

Sure :)

1. Don't use Fantastico to install TYPO3. I haven't tried it for a
long time, but it used to do a poor job of the installation. A manual
installation is quite simple.

2. Read the documentation more closely--you won't find any doc that
mentions ENABLE_INSTALL_TOOL.php, and you might be surprised by what
happens if you try it with ENABLE_INSTALL_TOOL.

3. If you can't upload a template, then the directory you're trying to
upload to is not writable for the FTP user (if you're using FTP) or
the php process (if you're trying from inside TYPO3)--the likelihood
is that this bit has nothing whatsoever to do with TYPO3,
incidentally.

--
Christopher Torgalson
http://www.typo3apprentice.com/