[Typo3-install] Error in proessing index.php for very first time!

Junaid Mansoor Sootwala junaid.mansoor at rsgohar.com
Tue May 9 10:31:11 CEST 2006

Hello to all!

I am a newbie for Typo installation and previously relying on FANTISTICO
installation.

While installing typo3 4.0 from tgz file and after following all the
steps I am getting "500 Internal Server Error".

Upon running index.php through SSH (Putty) i am getting following output: -

./index.php: line 2: ?php: No such file or directory
./index.php: line 3: /bin: is a directory
./index.php: line 4: INSTALL.txt: command not found
./index.php: line 5: INSTALL.txt: command not found
./index.php: line 6: syntax error near unexpected token `c'
./index.php: line 6: `*  (c) 1999-2005 Kasper Skaarhoj
(kasperYYYY at typo3.com)'

the output of php -i (phpinfo ()) can be seen at
http://rsgohar.com/cms/phpenv.txt

Can anyone save my life by telling me the possible cause?  I will be
very thankful.  BTW, feel free to ask any clarifications in simple words.

Regards
Junaid Mansoor Sootwala