[Typo3-install] can't install

Matthew Manderson matthew at manderson.co.uk
Sun Aug 6 09:46:22 CEST 2006

Please don't cross post and please use your real name in your message
header.

Axon Communications wrote:
> I am installing Typo3 on a public server.
> I installed the latest version, typo3 4.0.1 on a public server
> I am getting the error message:
> Permission denied
> I can't figure out what's the problem.

Public servers have funny permissions these days. Check with your web host
to install TYPO3 as server writeable etc. You need to see the INSTALL.TXT
instructions in your package or on wiki.typo3.org for the full details.

> I have uploaded tar.gz version, and got it untared by server people
> earlier symlinks are still existing I can't delete them using FTP.
> Please help me to solve the problem.

Permissions again.

You should have your server people delete the old installation files first,
then uploaded the different type of TYPO3 installation.

You need to get your server people to delete and untar again.

Be aware to get the permissions working. When TYPO3 is installed by the
server, often you have problems acessing files by FTP etc. using your
normal login, so you need your login added to the server group. You can
usually get around this by uploading files WITHIN TYPO3 and to edit files
use the quixplorer extension. This way your common file handling is done by
TYPO3 which is running as the server.

In short, your server admins need to help.

Matthew