[TYPO3-GSoC] GSoC 2013 Project: Database Fixtures

Pranjal Daga pranjaldaga at gmail.com
Wed May 1 13:15:32 CEST 2013

Hey,
Firstly, I would like to congratulate Typo3 for getting selected in GSoC as
a mentoring organization again.
 I, PRANJAL DAGA, currently B.Tech Computer Science and Engineering
student, am very inspirited to take up the project ”Database Fixtures”,
 listed in your Ideas Page. My interest lies in software and programming. I
have worked on HTML, CSS, Ruby on Rails, PHP, MySQL, Javascript, Django,
node.js and also have a good amount of experience with frontend frameworks
like JQuery, Twitter Bootstrap etc.
As the famous notion goes, "Take care of the small things, and big things
automatically fall in place."- the same idea which is driven in this
project is one thing which can lead to the betterment of *TYPO3 CMS by
providing it fluidity and at the same time flexibility too.
**Setting up database fixtures is perhaps one of the most time-consuming
parts in testing database-backed Web applications. *

I think that the following things needs to be done when running a set of
tests:
*
*

   - Before all tests run, it should reset all tables relevant to the tests
   to some known state.
   - Before a single test method runs, it should reset the specified tables
   to some known state.
   - During the execution of a test method, it should provides access to
   the rows of the data that contribute to the fixture.
   *
   The fixture data is organized as a collection of PHP files which is the
   fixture file. Each fixture file must returns an array representing the
   initial rows of data for a particular table and the file name should be
   same as the table name.
   *

I will be submitting the proposal soon for this project and then I will
send you the link to the submitted proposal on google-melange.

Please tell me whether I'm going on the right track with the above
mentioned approach or not.

Regards and Thanks
PRANJAL DAGA