[TYPO3-GSoC] project idea: dropbox integration

Philipp Gampe phil at philippgampe.info
Wed Mar 31 19:50:09 CEST 2010

Hallo,

As a GSOC project I would like integrate a dropbox [1] into TYPO3 (as an
extension).

Dropbox is a service that lets you upload files and sync them with as many
computers as you want. It includes versionning and a deleted files browser.
The service is free up to a limit of 2 GB (excluding versions and deleted
files, they are free; you get a bonus of 250 MB for each invite up to 8
GB) and offers 50 GB and 100 GB plans (see pricing [2]).

What I would like to do:
* rewrite already available scrips to work with TYPO3 [3] + [4] (found a
bug already)
* make it work like dam (e.g. optionally replacing standard file input
fields)
* provide a BE module for managing files and versions
* provide permissions, to limit BE Users to certain dropbox paths even
trough they share one account (multiple accounts won't work that easily).

Bonus:
* provide a script to upload files from server to dropbox (so keeping
files in sync) [4]
* multiple dropbox accounts for one TYPO3 installation

Problems:
* Do to lag of a public API, either dropbox client has to be installed on
the server or one has to use/parse the website to invoke actions.
* The later options requires curl with https support on the server. This
would be the main option to implement, but having both is not much of a
problem. A simple switch in configuration should be sufficient in order to
let the user choose.
* Me PHP skills a pretty limited, but I thing I can handle it. I don't
know ExtJS yet, but I shall have enough time to dig into it.

About Me:
* I'm a German High School student and I'm going to write my finals in the
end of April. Then I will have free time until winter semester starts in
mid October.
* I studied computer science at University of Bonn as a member of the
FFF-Program [5].
* I'm using TYPO3 for more than 3 years now and started to spend more time
with it about a year ago. Currently I started to test RFC on the core list.
* Detailed information will be available in my student application if you
like that project :)

Best regards
Phil

[1] https://www.dropbox.com/features