[TYPO3-english] Cut Database Size - delete files in tt_news_cache?

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Tue Sep 5 11:31:58 CEST 2017

On 02/09/2017 22:22, Julianne Z wrote:
> I need to cut down my database size as the current limit (per GoDaddy)
> is 1 GB and we're dangerously close at .9 GB. Looking at phpMyAdmin, it
> looks like a huge chunk of that (935 MB) is taken up by the
> tt_news_cache directory. Is it safe to completely delete all the files
> in this directory in phpMyAdmin? Or is there a way to at least cut it down?

In a database the 'directory' is called "table" and the 'files' are
"records" (just to update your technology knowledge; nothing to
apologize for BTW)

Any table with 'cache' in the name should only contain items that can be
regenerated when they are not present in that table.

More detailed instructions (just looked how it looks in phpMyAdmin :-) )

- in the tree on the left click on the name of the database
- the right side of the page now shows a list of all tables with their sizes
- click the checkbox in front of the table you'd like to empty
- scroll down and in the dropdown that shows "With selected:" chose the
option "empty"

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Core Team Member