[TYPO3-english] Cut Database Size - delete files in tt_news_cache?

Julianne Z julianne at 8vamusicconsultancy.com
Sat Sep 2 22:22:28 CEST 2017

I need to cut down my database size as the current limit (per GoDaddy) is 1 GB and we're dangerously close at .9 GB. Looking at phpMyAdmin, it looks like a huge chunk of that (935 MB) is taken up by the tt_news_cache directory. Is it safe to completely delete all the files in this directory in phpMyAdmin? Or is there a way to at least cut it down?

I should also say I'm not currently able to login to the backend of TYPO3, which limits my ability to change things. For mysterious reasons the login credentials no longer work and changing them directly in the database does not seem to fix the problem. But that's a separate issue that I posted about separately already.

Also, it may be important to note that I just recently realized the website is running a very old version - 4.5.30. I will be able to update it as soon as I fix the login issue, which I'm still unsure of how to do. (But it's a side issue to this one.)

I have a backup of both the database and website files.

Lastly, I do not have a background in computer science, so I apologize for my ignorance. Detailed instructions/suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!!