[TYPO3-english] How to hook TYPO3 Form submit

Chris Taylor chris at christaylordeveloper.co.uk
Wed Oct 25 09:08:54 CEST 2017

Hello, your support for a new typo3 developer would be greatly appreciated.

I need to hook into a TYPO3 form submit event and my question is: do I need to write a TYPO3 Extension to achieve this?

Background:
I installed TYPO3 version 7.6.23. During the install process I picked the default 'distribution' and I now have the "TYPO3 CMS bootstrap package". When I go to the Installed Extensions screen I have the Form Extension installed (key=form).

I have a page with a form on it and I need to hook into that form submit event and do a HTTP POST to another site with some of the form data. Optionally I would like to prevent the form submit from happening, depending on the return value of my POST to the other site - so perhaps what I need in-fact is a 'before submit' event to hook.

Do I need to write an extension to achieve this? If so how can I get started? There are extension tutorials on typo3.org but they imply I need to build a full blown MVC extension, which seems way over the top for my requirements.

Thank you,

Chris