[TYPO3-english] Document management DMS and TYPO3

Mark Boland mark.boland at boland.de
Mon Oct 2 10:25:22 CEST 2017

Hi So Chat,

what you are searching for (editing Word files, publish in PDF file, workflow for creation, editing, versioning, approval of files) is possible with other solutions, but (and this is a big BUT) they don’t deliver the same fidelity and click-and-use experience for MS Office documents than the one from the same vendor: Microsoft. They certainly don’t exist for TYPO3 as an installable extension. Validation workflow indeed does not include documents in TYPO3, just web content.

We offered such a system for a client of us, complete with integration of several offices all over the world (don’t know if you need this). We planned decentralized team sites and a uniform search experience for all teams. We started with planning a TYPO3-only solution integrating WebDAV for file share access for team documents. There were too many obstacles for adoption, starting with acceptance at the client’s side: Editors were not happy with leaving Word just to download/check out, edit, upload/check-in a new version of a document. Sharepoint comes with an integrated solution including browsing for online documents you have access to right within the application. There are other commercial solutions that can provide a similar interface for their DMS.

The client finally went for SharePoint on Premise (he didn’t trust the cloud for his private documents).

If your client can live with the limitations I mentioned above we should talk in PM.

Cheers,
Mark