[TYPO3-english] What are layout1, layout2, excetera?

Michael Schams typo3 at 2017.schams.net
Tue Jun 20 13:27:49 CEST 2017

On Mon, 2017-06-19 at 14:33 +0200, Abramo Tesoro wrote:

> > > Most records in TYPO 3 appear to have an option 'type', which can
> > > take the following values:
[...]
> > Through trial and error I've found that they at least control the
> > various <h> tags for headers.
[...]
> > 1. Is this feature documented somewhere? If so, what is it called
> > (what search term should I use)?

Fields in the backend of TYPO3 are "configured" by the TCEFORM (TYPO3
Content Elements Form). Try to search for "TCEFORM" and
"header_layout":

https://www.google.com/search?q=typo3+tceform+header_layout

> > 2. Where can I find the definition of their behaviour (what HTML
> > will be spat out for each layout)?

You can manipulate the behaviour in various ways: you can rename the
labels, you can edit the code that each item produces, you can remove
items from the dropdown box, you can add your custom layouts, etc.

Search for: TCEFORM.tt_content.header_layout

https://www.google.com/search?q=TCEFORM.tt_content.header_layout

The TypoScript goes into the TSconfig field of a page for
example (PageTsconfig), e.g. the root page, and inherit to its
subpages.

Beside editing TCEFORM.tt_content.header_layout.*, you possibly want to
tell TYPO3, how it should render the code (HTML output).

https://www.derhansen.de/2015/08/typo3-custom-header-layout-with-alignm
ent.html

In general, you should check if you are using css_styled_content
or fluid_styled_content. There are possibly some (very minor)
differences when you try to apply code snippets someone else suggests.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/35202721

Other elements you can "manipulate":
https://somethingphp.com/typo3-backend-experience/

You can also use the TypoScript Object Browser to lookup the default
configuration.

WEB -> Template -> (choose a page) -> switch to "TypoScript Object
Browser" (dropdown box at the top) -> change "Browse: Setup", then
open: lib -> stdHeader -> 10 -> ...

You can use the data you find here and create your custom configuration
for the header_layouts as required, e.g.

lib.stdHeader.10.1.dataWrap = <div class="foo">|</div>

...untested, though :-)

> > 3. I've created an extension using Fluid templates to control the
> > style and layout of my website. Should I pay attention to this
> > layout1, layout2, ... feature, or is it considered an obsolete way
> > of doing things now?

Use it, but in case you publish your extension, keep in mind that you
do not control how other developers/integrators set up their site. For
example, someone could remove items from this dropdown box for their
editors.

Cheers
Michael