[TYPO3-english] crash extensions

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Wed Oct 12 15:56:08 CEST 2016

Hi,

On 08/10/2016 14:44, gabriele piccini wrote:
> I'm a noob about typo3 CMS.. I'm in to understand how it works.
> My intention is to create a website for photography hence I need some
> galleries and slides..
> In the extension module I found some gallery extensions but after
> installed one the system was not more accessible. Not knowing what to do
> I reinstalled everything.
> After, when I was looking for that extension into the extension part of
> the website of typo3 I found it was outdated ( it was for an older
> version of  typo3). Why the extension module didn't block me if I have
> an newer version??

It really depends on the TYPO3 version to what extend the version checks
are done. In 7 LTS the checks are quite thorough: you won't see
extensions in the "Get extensions" section of the Extension Manager that
are not compatible with your release. If dependencies (TYPO3 version,
PHP, other extensions) are not met you'll see a dialogue that it's not
compatible and that you can install it if you know how to solve problems.

In earlier versions the checks were less strict or sometimes missing.
This was mainly caused because those dependencies were only made
mandatory for extensions in TER a few years ago.
For the recent TYPO3 version all compatible extensions have their
dependencies set and we could finally have strict checks.

For older TYPO3 versions you can always search in TER on the typo3.org
website (https://typo3.org/extensions/repository/ ) and read from the
description if the version is compatible. The latest upload date may
sometimes give you further information.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor