[TYPO3-english] Export-Import in typo3

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Fri Oct 7 14:08:26 CEST 2016

Hi,

On 06/10/2016 22:13, Decorte Michelle wrote:
> Our actual problem is that we have developped a «sub-section», on our
> development server.
> And now that it is ready to put online we want to integrate this section
> (and only this section) as a branch in our pre-production typo3 instance.

There are a lot of options you have to look at and set correctly for the
export to include what you want. You have to select which tables to
include and an important setting is also the maximum size of a file that
will be included. Review the entire section that is displayed below
which shows which relations will be lost (you can also select what to
exclude)

Import may require a lot of RAM depending on the number of records to be
imported (and their relations).

Because the ID's of imported pages and content records will not be the
same as on the server where the export was made the import module will
try to keep track of the changes and modify fields in records, links in
RTE fields, etcetera accordingly. For this it needs knowledge of the
meaning of fields and structures. This knowledge is present for records
provided by the core but not for most (if not all) records from extensions.
You will have to closely review the imported data and make some (or a
lot of) adjustments depending on the type of data you imported. Also
check other configuration (TypoScript, TS config, extension
configuration) because they also need to be adjusted.

Import/export is not a perfect solution that will do all automatically
for you; this is simply not possible. It can save you quite some time
when it comes to pages en normal content.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!