[TYPO3-english] wec_map 3.1.3, API

Jan Bartels j.bartels at arcor.de
Wed Nov 2 19:46:20 CET 2016

Am 23.10.2016 um 19:17 schrieb Axel Joensson:
> I have for some time been using the wec_map 3.1.1 ext. on a website now
> running under T3 ver. 6.2.27. Checking for ext updates I came across
> wec_map 3.1.3 and I am quite lucky to have tested the update on a cloned
> install first: version 3.1.3 denies service, requiring a "Google Maps
> API key".
>
> First question: Which API key would you like me to register? I found
> among others the Google Maps Android API, Google Maps JavaScript API,
> Google Static Maps API, Google Maps Embed API, Google Maps Directions
> API, Google Maps Distance Matrix API, Google Maps Elevation API, Google
> Maps Geocoding API, Google Maps Geolocation API, Google Maps Roads API
> and Google Maps Time Zone API. Not to mention the dozens of others APIs
> with similar names ...
You'll need a JavaScript (aka Browser) API key and a Server API key.

> The wec_map manual (marked outdated for missing recent documentation
> standards; b.t.w., why are no longer text documents of the manuals
> available? Am I expected to only read manuals online?) shows a
> screenshot of the "API key Settings" section in the WEC Map Admin
> module, however, my ext in two fields only asks for "Google Maps Browser
> API key" (which is not available among the APIs listed in the developer
> console), while the manual screenshot ("Step 2: Configuration of
> API-keys") shows *one* field for the "Google Maps Browser API key" and
> *another* requiring a "Google Maps Server API key" (which of course
> isn't available at the console, too).
Have a look at the latest manual beeing installed with the extension.
You'll need an OO to display the sxw-file.

I haven't had the time to convert the manual to the REST-format. If
someone wants to contribute to the documenation please get in contact
with me.

> I generated a "Google Maps Embed API" at the developers console, the
> domain is included in my developers account for many years by placing an
> ownership file generated by Google in the website root. I restricted the
> key for use only for that domain (by *.example.com/). Entering the key I
> obtained into the fields of wec_map didn't change a lot: While after
> update first a hint was printed on the frontend that I'd need an API
> key, entering it in the backend results in a white space in the
> frontend, where the map should show up, while everything necessary is
> present in the source code, but nothing displayed.
As stated above: You'll need 2 different keys. In this case, the
JavaScript API key is missing, I suppose. Please check the browser
console for errors.

> So far my "solution" is not to update to wec_map 3.1.3 on the productive
> site,
We are running wec_map successful on several sites. Other users have
configured the latest version successfully, too, as I know from some
email-contacts.

Jan