[TYPO3-english] Major Site update process

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Sun May 15 23:14:54 CEST 2016

Hi Adrian,

Adrian Manning wrote:

> Where can I find information about how to make a major update to my site?
> My problem is the site runs on a shared host, so I only have access via
> FTP and phpMyAdmin.
>
> I want to make a copy of the current site (database and typo3 code) and
> redirect any users to this copy while I work on the original. I need
> access to the modified original to test it. Finally I need to switch back
> to the updated site when everything is working correctly.

For that to work, you will need the ability to change the webroot in the
configuration of the hosting.

If you cannot do this, then you need to download the site and the database
and do the upgrade offline.

If you want to minimize offline upload the changes to different folder names
and rename the folders once you are done uploading.

Best regards
Certified Integrator – Active contributor TYPO3 CMS
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!