[TYPO3-english] Auto update?

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Wed Mar 16 14:53:58 CET 2016

Hi,

On 16/03/2016 14:04, "HocomAdvies [ 🌷 Wiechert Hooghwinkel ]" wrote:
> Just to be sure if I understand how the auto-update feature in the
> Installer works. On the server the typo3 source files are under
> /usr/share/ They are accessible through a (in this case direct)
> symlink. So the “cores” can be shared on several sites.
>
> If lets say Typo3 7.6.0 checks for a core update, it recommends
> updating to 7.6.4. If than performing that update, what doe the auto
> updater do? Looking for a newer “core” or just change the symlink
> into a symlink towards the latest source version? I assume if, that,
> when that version is not available on the server it will not be
> possible to perform the update? Right? Or will the updater also
> download the new Typo3 source? I assume that downloading the new
> source must still be done through wget (git) or any other way?

Your situation is not what the core update feature in the Install Tool
is meant for. If you have several installation on a single server that
share the same core then you're probably better of creating your own
updater.

What the updater does is:
- check if a newer version is available
- download the archive
- unpack the archive
- move the core directory to the location of the old core (so you'll end
up with two or more directories with different core versions next to
each other in the same directory)
- change the symlink
- clear cache

It was meant for small installations where people usually had to
download, unpack and change symlink by hand.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!