[TYPO3-english] Upgrade TYPO3 4.2.2 to latest 7.6.4

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Fri Mar 11 14:37:18 CET 2016

Hi,

On 11/03/2016 01:59, Ankur Nikam wrote:
> One of my friend needs my help to upgrade his website developed in Typo3
> version 4.2.2 to the latest version Typo3 version 7.6.4

It's very recommended to upgrade in steps to the latest TYPO3 release
and make no larger jumps then from LTS tot LTS. So, in your friends case:
4.2.2 -> 4.5 LTS -> 6.2 LTS -> 7 LTS

Always use a copy of the site for the upgrade and make backups after big
steps (to prevent that you have to start at the begin again).

Your friend should start by looking at the extensions and make sure
versions compatible with TYPO3 7 are available. If necessary, find
replacements and prepare how migration of data should be done.

6.x and later require UTF-8 databases (utf8_general_ci). [1] shows the
tools to perform the conversion (best used with TYPO3 4.5)

In general each upgrade contains the steps:
- upgrade extensions to the highest possible version for that TYPO3
version (perform update scripts in Extension Manager if extensions need
that)
- update the reference indexes
- upgrade core
- run Upgrade Wizards in Install Tool
- run Database Compare in Install Tool
- clear caches
- check everything, check system log, fix anything that's broken
- backup
- repeat

[1]
http://www.typo3coder.nl/development/upgrade-to-typo3-62-and-database-issues/