[TYPO3-english] Where can I find the page's header/footer content?

Michael Schams typo3 at 2016.schams.net
Sat Jul 9 03:26:14 CEST 2016

On Fri, 2016-07-08 at 03:05 +0200, Ioana V. wrote:

> I'm stuck now that I have to change the header and footer. My understanding is that I should make the changes somewhere in the template since they appear on all pages, but once I login on the backend, I can't find anything related to templates.

Hi Ioana,

It depends how your TYPO3 instance has been setup and how much access
you've got to the system (e.g. full backend admin account or limited
editor account).

Updating template files is one option. They are usually located
somewhere in the "fileadmin" directory (e.g. fileadmin/templates/ or
fileadmin/Resources/), but again: it depends how the developers have set
up the system.

The visual appearance of a TYPO3 website (layouts, etc.) can also be
implemented using extensions. In this case, have a closer look at the
Extension Manager in the backend (requires full admin access) or in the
directory typo3conf/ext/. However updating extensions by editing their
files directly should be avoided, because your changes may get
overwritten at the next update.

Another option you often see is that certain elements, e.g. the company
address, logos, copyright notes, etc. in headers/footers are implemented
using TypoScript. Developers/Integrators could so something like this:

lib.footer = TEXT
lib.footer.value = <div class="footer">Company Name<br />Dummy

You can then "inject" the variable lib.footer into the template files.
The benefit is that the company details can be updated without the need
to edit any template files.

There are more options available, so maybe speak to the person who
implemented the site for you, if the hints above did not help. And you
possibly want to make sure, you have the appropriate access privileges
required for the changes you want to make, e.g. full admin account in
the backend of TYPO3.

Cheers
Michael