[TYPO3-english] TYPO3 behind a CDN and checkValidBrowserOrDie() ("Your browser version looks incompatible with this TYPO3 version")

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Sat Jan 9 13:52:43 CET 2016

Hi,

On 08/01/2016 04:56, Michael Schams wrote:
> Unfortunately, this is not the only spot in TYPO3 where the
> browser/os/version
> is checked by accessing variable $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT']. The next
> problem is that the RTE is not loaded, if the user-agent is "AWS
> CloudFront".
>
> If I add the following line to AdditionalConfiguration.php, the RTE
> comes up:
>
> $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'] = $userAgent;
>
> However, overwriting *this* variable is a bad idea I suspect.
> Is there any chance to force the RTE to load, no matter which user-agent
> string the browser sent?

I think that overwriting that variable is indeed a bad idea. The RTE
code needs browser information to handle the differences between
browsers correctly.

If you disable the RTE globally then you could make it work behind a
CDN. Perhaps in future versions a different RTE will be available which
doesn't need client information inside the PHP code.

Your initial "workaround" for a different BE domain isn't too bad
actually. You'll have way more FE requests than BE requests. Quite a few
installations already have different domains for the BE to deal with
load balancers, replication and many other challenges.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!