[TYPO3-english] Localising system categories - multi langauge site

Tom Warwick tom.warwick at typo3.org
Thu Aug 4 11:49:15 CEST 2016

Hi everyone,

Ive got a Multilanguage site running in English and Welsh.

Im using Categories to tag pages so that I can create an "A to Z"

In the Default language (English) everything works fine. I tag a Page with a particular category and I then use the content element "Special Menus > Pages for selected categories" to generate a list of all pages tagged with a particular category.

I assumed, to do this for my alt language (Welsh) I would just need to create Categories with the alternative language and tag pages with both and English and Welsh categories. However, I cant see any categories in my alternative language when I browse to Page properties > Categories. I can only see categories setup in my Default language.If I change them back to my default language they appear straight away.

Is it the case that system categories can/should only exist in the default language?

Is it also tied to this issue on forge? https://forge.typo3.org/issues/66155

Thanks again,

Tom