[TYPO3-english] Using TYPO3.CMS.git as submodule

Arno Dudek webmaster at adgrafik.at
Thu Sep 17 12:07:25 CEST 2015

Hi Viktor!

Thanks for your answer.

"Why simple if it can be complicated." :)

This will be indeed a radical change. We now using a running deploy
process which includes resources as submodule if possible. Before TYPO3
v7 it was easy to update the core and the extension by just switching
the tag. This is really helpfull after a certain number of projects.

I'm now a little bit dissatisfied, cause it takes a while until it works
like now.

Now I try a workaround, but it will be usefull to distribute a complete
working version on git.typo3.org.

My workaround:

The required dirs bin and typo3/vendor are placed on the project root.
In the TYPO3-Repo these dirs are linked to them as symlinks.
After composer update all files are located in the project root and can
be commited.
After deploy it have to be checked if the symlinks are already there and
if not, they have to be created.

This is the project root now:

fileadmin
index.php -> typo3_src/index.php
typo3 -> typo3_src/typo3
typo3_repository
typo3_repository/bin -> ../typo3_repository_bin
typo3_repository/typo3/vendor -> ../../typo3_repository_typo3_vendor
typo3_repository_bin
typo3_repository_typo3_vendor
typo3_src -> typo3_repository
typo3conf
typo3temp
uploads

Additionally the gitmodule must be configured as "ignore = dirty".

[submodule "typo3_repository"]
	path = typo3_repository
	url = https://git.typo3.org/Packages/TYPO3.CMS.git
	ignore = dirty

This is really unsatisfactory. Do you use a deploy process? If so, have
you some input for me? We are using Codebase as Git-Repo and DeployHQ.
And I like it to keep it as simple as possible :)

lg arno