[TYPO3-english] what are the reasons to upgrade from PHP5.2 to newer ?

David Bruchmann david.bruchmann at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 12:44:55 CET 2015

> > it will be great if you can show me the example , especially to describe
> for non-technical IT user to understand this

PHP got with growing versions new features and these are used by TYPO3
itself and by extensions programmed more or less independent.

In PHP 5.3. namespaces have been introduced that change the way how classes
are separated from each other and how they are included.
This is used now in TYPO3 core and most extensions, therefore PHP 5.2 is
technically outdated because it can't handle namespaces.

There are still more features PHP got with increasing version-number but
namespaces are perhaps the most breaking one.
Details: http://php.net/manual/en/language.namespaces.rationale.php

Everything is being developed and getting mostly better, often even the
customers websites. Programming languages are being developed too.
The changes in PHP made a shift possible from procedural character to a
programming language with many object-oriented features - and these are
features are used in TYPO3.
Many extensions base now on the object oriented MVC (Model, View,
Controller) base "extbase" (used for model, controller and other logical
elements) and "fluid" ("fluid" is used for the view, means the display of
anything).
Extbase and fluid both use namespaces too, so there is no option to get
modern code without changing to a (more) modern version of PHP.

For technic-deniers or at least technically really untalented persons you
can compare code without namespaces like finding addresses by common
post-addresses with street, City, etc. while namespaces you can compare
with finding addresses just by geo-data (latitude and longitude). But that
are only comparisons that show that the base how things are labeled,
searched and found changed very much.

Best Regards,
David