[TYPO3-english] Upgrade vs. migration from 3.8.0

Peter Kühnlein peter at function2form.net
Fri Nov 6 13:25:29 CET 2015

Am 06.11.2015 um 13:10 schrieb Fabian Berger:
> I created a homepage based on Typo3 3.8.0 a couple of years ago that
> has not been maintained since. I want to upgrade it now to the most
> current version and was wondering what would be easier:
>
> - version by version upgrade
> - install current Typo3 version in a different directory on the same
> server and migrate the data over
>
> Are there any benefits to doing it one way or the other? Any special
> steps I will have to take?
>
> I'm sorry if these are stupid questions but I have not been keeping up
> with Typo3 for the last couple years.
>
> Any help is much appreciated
Hi Fabian,

I am afraid, the latter method won't work. There have been massive
changes in the database setups, and a 3.8 DB won't work with any 6.x or
7.x installation. If you want to keep the data, you will have to upgrade
step by step :(

I did something like that lately, and it can be done, but will cost time
and nerves... It should work going from 3.8 to the V 4 LTS and from
there to higher versions.

Success!
Peter

--

http://function2form.net
http://peter-kuehnlein.net

"If there is something that cannot be accomplished without speaking, one should speak with few words, in a way that accords well with reason."
(Hagakure)

Latest projects
http://bmw-bobber.de
http://noris-chapter.de