[TYPO3-english] Advice needed for creating a new version of an existing website

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Sat Mar 28 19:29:45 CET 2015

Hi,

On 28/03/2015 13:55, Mattia B wrote:
> Looks like I was successful at updating to 4.5 (of which I'm keeping a
> backup version of the codebase and database).

Make sure the database, every table and every column is utf8_general_ci
(this is the best working setting for TYPO3). If you need a small tool
to access the database take a look at http://www.adminer.org (there is
also a TYPO3 extension which contains that tool in a BE module). 6.2
requires the entire BE and DB to be UTF-8.
I had a quick look in smoothmigration and noticed that the UTF-8
conversion was incomplete and probably doesn't handle most problems
(I've seen a lot of databases where UTF-8 encoded text was stored in
Latin-1 columns/tables, resulting in strings like 'Ali Gökgöz and
Gültekin Tarcan'.

> After that I have made several attempts at upgrading to 6.2
> (smoothmigration, db reindexing, encoding conversion and so on) but all
> failed probably because a lot of extensions are old/unavailable and/or
> have modified files which give problems with the updates.

If you run the 6.2 Install Tool as standalone tool (not from the TYPO3
Backend) it should work even if extensions break the backend. In case of
errors it will suggest to unload an extension. There is also a check
that loads the files of each extension like normally happens in the
backend. If an extension causes a fatal error you will get the
opportunity to unload it.

As said in my previous post, most of the fatal PHP errors you will see
with older extensions are cause because they don't rely on the
autoloader that was introduced in TYPO3 4.3. From that release you
didn't need to use require(_once) to load core classes anymore. The fix
for these fatal errors is simply removing the line.
Other require_once() statements use the constant PATH_tslib which was
removed in 6.x; but the require_once wasn't needed anyway, so you can
safely remove the line.

Some of the TypoScript in older installations/extensions use the HTML
object. In 99.9% of the cases this can simply be replaced by the TEXT
object (these were so similar that it wasn't necessary to keep them
both). Lines like:

10 = HTML
10 {

can be replaced with

10 = TEXT
10 {

> Sounds very much like I'd better start from scratch and reimplement all
> the stuff. Looks like a long and painful journey.. and I'll need a lot
> of help :)
> I'll make a couple more attempts at updating it and then decide which
> path to follow..

Building everything from scratch is also quite a task. Of course you
have the opportunity to build the pages with Fluid templates, nice and
shiny extensions made with extbase, but migrating the content would
still form a real challenge.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor