[TYPO3-english] Re: Advice needed for creating a new version of an existing website

Mattia B karel291180 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 13:55:05 CET 2015

Hi Jigal and thanks for the exhaustive answer!

In any case I'm working on a local copy of the website, which I don't know exactly what patch of typo3 4.2 it is running on in production (I based my guess on a browser extension which detects the frameworks and versions). I managed to have it working locally on 4.2.6.

Looks like I was successful at updating to 4.5 (of which I'm keeping a backup version of the codebase and database).
After that I have made several attempts at upgrading to 6.2 (smoothmigration, db reindexing, encoding conversion and so on) but all failed probably because a lot of extensions are old/unavailable and/or have modified files which give problems with the updates.

Sounds very much like I'd better start from scratch and reimplement all the stuff. Looks like a long and painful journey.. and I'll need a lot of help :)
I'll make a couple more attempts at updating it and then decide which path to follow..

Thanks again!
Mattia