[TYPO3-english] typo3 server transfer problem; missing text elements due to ASCII quotation

Richard McMahon rgm at ast.cam.ac.uk
Sat Mar 21 22:07:25 CET 2015

Hello, I am transferring a typo3 4.5 website between servers and some text elements are blank on the website and in the editor. I think it is due to character encoding. e.g. text elements with ASCII right single quotes are not saved by the typo3 RT editor when I do some tests. The pages that have missing text has right single quotes on the original website. I have been reading about mysql character collation and character_set btutgetting a bit lost. Is there some specific typo3 mysql guidance on this topic.

The original site has:

mysql> show variables like 'character_set_%';
+--------------------------+-------------------------------------------------+
| Variable_name | Value |
+--------------------------+-------------------------------------------------+
| character_set_client | latin1 |
| character_set_connection | latin1 |
| character_set_database | utf8 |
| character_set_filesystem | binary |
| character_set_results | latin1 |
| character_set_server | latin1 |
| character_set_system | utf8 |
| character_sets_dir | /usr/local/mysql/5.1/73-A/share/mysql/charsets/ |
8 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> show variables like 'collation_%';
| Variable_name | Value |
| collation_connection | latin1_swedish_ci |
| collation_database | utf8_general_ci |
| collation_server | latin1_swedish_ci |