[TYPO3-english] how to get pdf to open in new window automatically

Michael Schams typo3.lists at 2015.trash.schams.net
Fri Jun 12 09:44:24 CEST 2015

On Thu, 2015-06-11 at 18:28 +0200, terry brockett wrote:

> this might not be the right place to ask and i'm a beginner...

Here's the perfect place to ask :-)

> I have added a 'promo link' content element and linked it to
> a pdf file saved on the backend.when you click the link - i'd
> like it to open the pdf in a new tab or window in internet explorer.
> is there a way to do this?

When adding a file via the RTE (Rich Text Editor), choose "New window"
from the dropdown box (value "_blank" appears in field "Target:").

See screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/0kcjPKd.png

When adding a file via a content element (for example "File Links"),
choose "New window" from the dropdown box (value "_blank" appears in
field "Target:").

See screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/6DGaMeZ.png

If you do not see this field/dropdown box and you don't have admin
privileges, you possibly don't have the access permissions required
(contact your TYPO3 service provider).

Hope this helps.
Michael