[TYPO3-english] Re: The cost of caching

Viktor Livakivskyi invisible.kinder at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 12:30:01 CET 2015

Hi, Graham

> They have now suggested that I turn off caching as the database engine already does its own, effective query caching.
>
> Has anyone experience of something similar? Is the hosting company's suggestion likely to work? Is there some sort of compromise that will optimise caching performance?

This is a bad idea.
E.g. one of our websites with optimized MySQL serves uncached page 4 seconds and cached for 200 ms only.

As alternative, you may store cachesin Memcached or Redis or any other availabel chec backends [1]

If your hoster doesn't provide acces to any of these alternatives, I'd suggest to chage a hoster.
Or, as poor man's alternative, you can use config.sendCacheHeaders = 1, so your pages are cached by browsers/proxies, but read carefully, when you shouldn't apply this setting [2]

[1]: http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/CoreApiReference/CachingFramework/FrontendsBackends/Index.html#cache-backends
[2]: http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/TyposcriptReference/Setup/Config/Index.html#sendcacheheaders