[TYPO3-english] TYPO3 6.2, host with safe_mode, ImageMagick troubles

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Thu Feb 12 14:15:42 CET 2015

On 12/02/2015 13:28, Jeppe Donslund wrote:
> Neither the .htacces or the php.ini works.
>
> But why can't ImageMagick work with safe_mode on inside TYPO3 when it
> can outside TYPO3?

safe_mode adds some extra processing to the commands we send to the
server. To have working commands the core code has to take this into
account. If you look at the code inside TYPO3 4.5 you find some areas
where we attempt to handle this. In the end there was no way to fully
support safe_mode and we were quite happy that safe_mode was deprecated
in PHP 5.3.0 and removed in PHP 5.4.0.

safe_mode gives a false sense of safety and gives more problems than it
solves. Ask the hoster to turn it off, ask for PHP 5.4 or move to a
hoster that doesn't force this setting.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor