[TYPO3-english] Does it make sense to make websites using Fluid Content Engine ?

Bernd Wilke t3n at pi-phi.de
Thu Dec 17 10:14:43 CET 2015

Am 16.12.2015 um 20:52 schrieb Dmitry:
> Hi all,
> I want to ask. Does it make sense to make websites using "Fluid Content
> Engine", "Fluid Pages Engine", "Flux: Fluid FlexForms" and "VHS: Fluid
> ViewHelpers"? Or better as always, using fluid and typoscript. Would it
> not be in the future as the situation with templavoila? Whether these
> extensions are actively maintained in the following years?
> What is your opinion?

I don't know whether it will be maintained in the future, but that is a
question for each extension you use.
at the moment there are a lot of developers involved.

my personal experience of the last years:
the extensions develop mighty fast and it is not easy to stay up-to-date.

I build some CEs which involved and got changes in the datastructure.
And so it worked with older versions of fluidcontent, after one update
the CEs were not rendered correct any more: since that version the
flexform data needs to have the exact datastructure then the definition,
which was not true due to the changes of the definition over time.
that was the end I could update the flux-extension. I needed to write an
updatewizard analyzing the data  and definitions and correct them. As I
got no help it was a hard way to learn that it was easy to do (you just
need to know that you can read the xml into an array, modify the array
and TYPO3 itself will automatically convert the array in XML)

on the other hand I noticed a big loss of qualitity in the
documentations: a lot of attributes were just mentioned as
'attributname="foo"'. no examples as in the first documentations.

and then the viewhelpers get renamed every now and then: I need to
update all my templates for further usage of the excelent(!) viewhelpers
in ext:vhs. And so I only had to manage only one big project it was a
lot of work. I don't know the workload for someone having a lot of projects.

with the new FCE (Fluid-Content-Elements) I see no futher need for
ext:fluidcontent. Have a look at ext:mask, and wait for an (F)CE-Builder
like the kickstarter.
I did not use ext:fluidpages, but think that BE-layouts would be mighty
enough.
grid-elements is also a big helper which will be included (partly) in
the core in 8.
leaving ext:vhs from where I will copy now and then a viewhelper which
needs no further update as it gets not renamed.

bernd