[TYPO3-english] Learning Typo3

Jim Oser oserj at concentric.net
Sat Aug 1 20:41:55 CEST 2015

@Patrick Lobacher and @Michael Schams

I have bought the Kindle English edition of:

"The TYPO3 Extbase Book"

It would be really nice if:

http://www.extbase-book.org

followed the Pragmatic Book examples such as:

https://pragprog.com/book/rails4/agile-web-development-with-rails-4

so that

http://www.extbase-book.org

has details, content/extracts, author review, and most importantly discussions and errata.

Also Pragmatic Books give you free updates which I don't see with OpenSource Press.

There needs to be one central place to discuss your book, and the logical place is:

http://www.extbase-book.org/

In the discussion in this thread and in your book, you don't even mention whether a beginner should start with 6.x or 7.x or something else.

What the typo3 community needs is something like the rails community has, a book that starts from absolute beginning, but is always up-to-date.

https://www.railstutorial.org/book

Also typo3 documentation should not say "out of date". It should instead say when the documentation was valid i.e (Typo 2 up to release 2.3)

http://guides.rubyonrails.org/v2.3.10/

http://guides.rubyonrails.org/v2.3.11/

It is very frustrating going to:

typo3.org

Selecting: Getting Started Tutorial

http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/GettingStartedTutorial/Introduction/Index.html

and then seeing a picture from typo3 4.5

Even when one successfully installs typo3 6.2 and chooses the Introduction Package.

The very first page of the new site shows a nice picture of the supposedly new backend.

However this photo:  fileadmin/_processed_/csm_typo3-book-backend-style-settings_061a0c6f9d.png

shows on the left hand side:

Bootstrap Package --> Styles

which according to:

https://forum.typo3.org/index.php/t/202782/-typo3-german-6-2-bootstrap-introduction-package

is obsolete:

> Nach einem kurzweiligen Gedankenaustausch mit dem Autor des bootstrap_packages hat dieser eine neue Version erstellt.
> In dieser ist der Styleeditor nicht mehr vorhanden und die Less-Variablen direkt im Template bearbeitbar.
> Funktioniert super.

Jim Oser